Registrierter Benutzer

The Rape Of Nations

Other Europeans - AI
    Dutch - McMonkey
    French - Karlheinz
    Spanish - Metropolis (f. Alcibaides)
    Heathens - AI
    English - Ingvar (f. Civilionaut)
    Portuguese - Professor Garfield (f. cupcoffee)

Download links:
    http://www.civfanatics.net/downloads...os/Tronzip.zip
    http://www.civfanatics.net/downloads.../TRONPatch.zip

The Rape Of Nations (ver 1.1)
    A multi-player and single-player scenario by Kobayashi

"Who so commands the seas commands the trade of the world;
    Who so commands the
    trade of the world commands the riches of the world." - Sir Walter Raleigh.
    @options

1.00 BRIEFING AND OBJECTIVES
    ==============
    In the 300 years lasting from 1500 to 1800, the seafaring European nations will
    undergo a huge era of expansion via colonization. As colonization progresses,
    (the map will turn blue) one nation will emerge as the first global superpower.

You will win if you are that superpower - within the 300 years timeframe.
    Ultimately the race to colonize was as much a test of economic might as well as
    military might. TRON captures this aspect. To win you must be the only player
    (including the AI-only races) touching the top of civilization power graph in 1800.
    You will need to be very rich to accomplish this. There can be no joint winners so
    if more than one power touches the top at the end, all players lose. This might
    require tactics different from what you are used to. For instance, it may not to
    your advantage to kill off a weaker player when he has little chance of winning but
    can help you weaken a stronger power. Also, you typically have more to gain by
    attacking the AI-only powers as they will always max out on the power graph if left
    unchecked.

1.01 GAME BASICS
    ==============
    The Rape Of Nations or TRON is made with multi-player in mind and up to 5 players
    can be accommodated. Because of this, a little bit of history has been altered to
    ensure a fair game for each player - so each playable tribe starts with three cities,
    roughly the same units and the same total population irrespective of the the relative
    sizes of each nation in history. The scenario can also be played as a single player
    scenario and the AI has been thoroughly tested to give the single player a run for
    his money.

1.02 HOUSE RULES
    ==============
    Players may agree not to attack each other for the first five turns so there
    isn't a mad rush to kill each other's only ocean going caravel.

Players may agree that the first player to be on the top of the Civ Powergraph
    by himself will win, even if it is before 1800 - for a shorter game.

Players may agree not to attack each other's original cities.

Do not steal any of the Heathen's tech. It might make some of your units obsolete.

Giving of units to other human players is not allowed.

The building of canals such as Suez and Panama is banned.

Players should post the historic events that happen during their turn.

2.01 RACES - COLONIAL EUROPEANS
    ==============
    Players can ONLY play as the pre-colonial powers. They have the biggest tech tree
    and can eventually build the most advanced sailing ships. There are two main branches
    of colonials. The Catholics (Spain, Portugal and France) and Protestants (England and
    the Netherlands) each have unique units and wonders. In addition, each of the colonial
    powers has its own hero unit and one unique wonder.

Typically the AI handles the Catholic powers better so if you are playing as a single
    player, play as either England or the Netherlands for a more challenging game.

2.02 RACES - OTHER EUROPEANS
    ==============
    The Other Europeans represent mainly the Holy Roman Empire under the Habsburgs
    and the Russian Empire in the second half. Other entities such as the Scandanavians,
    Poland and Papal States also belong to this group. They can build most of the land units
    of the Colonial Europeans and the less advanced ships. Certain wonders are common to
    the Colonials and Other Europeans.

2.03 RACES - HEATHENS
    ==============
    The Heathens represent the natives of the Americas, Africa and Asia. Their units will
    generally become weak as the Europeans develop but their numbers are augumented by
    various events. New Heathen cities have no names as it is not possible to predict
    which continent the next city will appear on. You can rename them as you please if
    you capture any.

2.04 RACES - OTTOMANS
    ==============
    The Turks are the dominant force in the eastern and southern mediterranean and serve
    as they did in history as a counter-weight to the Habsburgs who would otherwise
    overpower the rest of Europe. Muslim Tartars are also part of this group.

3.01 MISC - CIVPEDIA
    ==============
    Pertinent information about TRON is contained in the civpedia and an entry for
    each advance has been created. These entries contain over 10,000 words and you
    can get a good overview of the period simply by clicking the description box of
    each advance.

READ THROUGH THE GAME CONCEPTS section of the civpedia before playing
    to find out about changes made to the standard civ format. Entries in brackets are
    not crucial to playing the game and you can read those at your leisure.

3.02 MISC - REPLAYABILITY
    ==============
    Together with the geographical and national distinctions, several pivotal moments
    have been built into the game so that different races will be strong each time
    (eg. the initial attack on Moscow by the Tatars or the exploration of Latin America
    event). Also several advances have the same desirability so each AI power will go
    down the tech tree differently each time. Therefore it will be possible to play
    TRON several times.

3.03 MISC - EVENTS FILE
    ==============
    There are three events files, events1.txt (default events file) for single player,
    events23.txt for 2 to 3 players and events45.txt for more than 3 players. The files
    are exactly the same except that tradegoods arrive more frequently when there are
    more players. In a multi-player game, only the first player has to worry about using
    the correct events file.

Further Info:

Merchants
    Every power is made deliberately poor. In order to get advances faster, players need to transport their merchants using special ships to collect trade goods which lie next to trading posts (huts along the shore of non-European continents). You start with one merchant but no ship you have then can carry a merchant. Do not move your merchant until you can build ships labeled as 'M-ship' in the defense minister's screen.

New goods appear randomly and a new merchant is regenrated at the principal port for every tradegood that is collected(destroyed). Each iteration of this process produces gold and sometimes there is more than one tradegood stacked leading to a growing merchant force.

There is no way to know if there are goods at a trading post unless a merchant is present and ACTIVATED. That means a ship passing by, even if it is carrying a sleeping merchant, will not notice goods awaiting a 'buyer'. It is also possible to station merchants at trading posts until one or more crates of tradegoods arrive. Merchants will not remain under your employment if they are not housed in a city, merchant vessel or trading post so be careful.

Additional Income
    To be successful, you will need lots of gold to finance deficit spending and a high rate of research. Besides using merchants, there are several other ways to do this:

A. Discover new types of goods to create demand in Europe - this creates more merchants

B. Capture Heathen Kings - few opportunities but the pay-off is huge

C. Capture Trade Caravans - small pay-off but there will be many opportunities

D. Europeanize Land (refer to Terrain and Settlers section) in the new territories.

E. Plunder Heathen Treasuries - these are improvements in big Heathen cities which serve no purpose to you.

Terrain and Settlers
    The Map is laid out like a political map rather than the typical geographical map. The initial starting territory of different empires is defined by red and white borders. The concept of irrigation and farmland is replaced by villages and towns.

Instead of having grassland and plains, in TRON there is European Land (blue stripes) and Virgin Land (green stripes). The two are similar but European Land is superior to Virgin Land as many European tiles have a mineral bonus and building villages (irrigation) yields not one but two extra food. Settler units may change Virgin land into European land by mining it.

Keep in mind that it is possible to build mines in forests and villages in jungle.

Slave Revolts
    The concept of pollution is replaced by slave uprisings. As you build production improvements which require slaves, like plantations, icons of slave will appear in the city screen. The more slave icons a city generates, the higher the city's chance of slave revolts taking place within the city radius each turn. When slave uprisings reach sufficiently critical levels, there is a chance that widespread damage can be inflicted on the land.

You can quell uprisings the same way pollution is cleaned up - moving Peasants or Pilgrims into the affected square to "do some of the slaves' work" by pressing the "P" key, or choosing the "Clean Up Pollution" command from the Orders menu. The probability of slave revolts can be reduced through the construction of certain City Improvements, or by reducing the city's Shield production.

Combat Damage
    Units typically have a high firepower - low hitpoint scheme, increasing the uncertainty when conducting combat.

Mortar Unit
    The Mortar unit is huge and can only be fielded in cities and purpose made ships called bomb ketches. You can use Mortar units to attack units in adjoining squares but if there is no enemy unit in the adjoining square, the Mortar will have to be abandoned. Bomb Ketches are also able to carry merchants. Remember to cancel any move orders automatically generated after a successful attack or your mortar will be lost the next turn.

Land Units
    For easy recognition, attacking units are formed into regiments while defending units are called garrisons. As emphasis is given to the naval aspect, the land units of the game are slow except for explorers and are more useful for attacking nearby cities. The idea is for you to transport your land units via the sea and you will find marching an army from say Europe to the Fareast to be most excruciating.

Sea Units
    Ship units take preference over land units in terms of diversity as this is an Age of Sail scenario. Generally the first (or first few) generation of each type of ship starts off with the coastal flag on. Large Warships have the largest number of generations and new models can be built throughout the scenario. Note that the 1st, 2nd and 3rd rated ships of the line look similar but can you can tell them apart form the colour of their flags (rem traffic light, red is the most powerful, green is the least powerful). A second type of smaller cheaper warship can be used for patrol and against pirates. Other categorise of ships are:

Merchant ships - ships specifically meant for the transport of merchants.
    Transport ships - ships specifically meant for the transport of land units.
    Misc Designs - these include the bomb ketch and the fireship.

At the onset you have one elite caravel which doesn't sink in deep waters. Everything else has a 1 in 4 chance of sinking away from shore. This is reduced to 1 in 8 with the discovery of Gregorian Calendar and eliminated if you set one of your cities as the PRIME MERIDIAN.
    Geändert von Ingvar (24. Juni 2012 um 01:21 Uhr)

Registrierter Benutzer
    I will take a role of a DM of sorts.
    As the Heathens I will try to maximize growth and wealth to be plundered.
    I will also attack anyone who I possibly can attack with little regard to what chance I have to do damage.

As Other Europeans I will be at war with the Ottomans, and will only fight in defense against other European factions.

Registrierter Benutzer Avatar von cupcoffee
    This seems pretty interesting, I've always wondered how a civ game could turn out with a DM of sorts.

I'd like a go with Portugal.

Handeln & Verhandeln Avatar von Civilionaut
    England

Evertonian Avatar von McMonkey
    Ill take Holland, the Dutch guys from the Netherlands, or Hollandia if you prefer. I'm not fussed

Registrierter Benutzer Avatar von Alcibaides
    Spanish

Registrierter Benutzer Avatar von cupcoffee
    Is anybody here good at giving scenarios face lifts? I noticed that both the 30 years war and Eivind's Colonialism had a lot of nice untis that would fit quite well with this one.

I was thinking of making some new graphics for my own use so I volunteer!

Registrierter Benutzer
    You, Sir, are a champion.

I will get to work on that tomorrow. Its too hot and humid this evening to sit at a computer. I always work better in the mornings with a coffee than in the evenings with a beer!

We still need a Frog before we can begin!

Registrierter Benutzer Avatar von Alcibaides
    OK, I have had a quick look at this scenario and it seems like it will be really fun. Here's a few questions:

1) I note that whoever can build a city at the Panama and Suez Canal locations will have a huge advantage in getting their ships around the map. I could not see a house rule against building canal cities in the scenario instructions, but seeing as the time period of the scenario is 1500-1800, and the Suez and Panama Canals were built in 1869 and 1914 respectively, I would suggest that we establish a rule that forbids building Canal cities to connect major Oceans. This will ensure that certain civs do not gain an unfair and unrealistic advantage. The definition of a canal city is one that has a port to 2 major oceans. Of course this does not stop a player from building 2 port cities on 2 seperate oceans close to one another with a road going through. What do people think?

2) What exactly is the purpose of having a DM for this game? Is it because the Heathens are too weak to be played by the computer? I did notice that the Heathens control some very powerful "hurricane" units. I think that if the Heathen civ is played by a human player, they need to be very careful not to use these powerful units in any tactical way. For example, if one of the other civs starts to get really powerful, it would be silly for the Heathen player to then start picking on that one civ's shipping with Hurricanes so as to "even things out", or to use Hurricanes to defend Heathen cities. In fact I believe some units can be automated, this might be useful to employ automation for units that are trully random weather phenomena. Or are settlers the only unit that can be automated?

3) There is a suggested house rule that the European Civs could play out the first 5 turns or so at peace so as to ensure that each Euro civ can get their first colonist to the New World without the danger of being sunk. Should we employ this rule? There is also another suggested rule about not allowing the European Civs to attack each other's European cities. What do people think about these rules?

Looking forward to this one....

1) I agree with this rule!

2) As long as the DM is not selective with his targets when using storms and the like I am cool with that. If a ship is spotted nearby then it gets attacked. If there are two possible targets then I would suggest the DM flips a coin. Heathen warriors and Pirates should act in their own interests.

3) 5 turns of peace sounds a good idea. If someone strikes an early blow it could unbalance the game too much.
    I'm not sure about the rule preventing attacks on European cities. The aim of the game is colonization and colonial war so I would be inclined to go with that rule. Then we can concentrate on "The Rape of Nations" and not just looking over our shoulders.

The graphics update is progressing well. All the terrain, cities and icons are done as well as all the ships (which look great!). Just the rest of the units and a little tidying up to do now. Should be ready by this evening.

Here's the graphics set I put together. Hope you like it!

Karlheinz Avatar von Karlheinz
    Thank you for the Graphic-Update. Now i can take France.

Seite 1 von 21 1234511 ... LetzteLetzte