Seite 2 von 2 ErsteErste 12
Ergebnis 16 bis 28 von 28

Thema: Colonialism II - General Discussion

Dummkopf Avatar von Eivind
    Not in my experience no. In FS for instance 400 is peanuts compared to Colonialsim and does not represent science beakers. It's because of the tech paradigm is set much higher in FS than Colonialism. Progress goes slower, but revenues are higher. You follow?

Veteran Avatar von Cobra
    Yes, it´s the same. If you get 400 gold, you get 400 beakers, too
    Wenn du tot bist, dann weißt du nicht, dass du tot bist, es ist nur schwer für die anderen. Genau so ist es, wenn du blöd bist.

VfB ein Leben lang! Avatar von Historical Atze
    Zitat Zitat von Eivind Beitrag anzeigen
    Not in my experience no. In FS for instance 400 is peanuts compared to Colonialsim and does not represent science beakers. It's because of the tech paradigm is set much higher in FS than Colonialism. Progress goes slower, but revenues are higher. You follow?
    I do, but you got something wrong. The amount of beakers it always the same and parallels the amount of money perfectly. What changes are the costs of researching a tech. In Vanilla techs are just cheaper than in scens...
    V f B  e i n  L e b e n  l a n g

"Kein Mensch hat seinen Freunden so viel Gutes erwiesen und seinen Feinden so viel Böses angetan, dass ich, Sulla, ihn nicht noch übertroffen hätte."
    Lucius Cornelius Sulla (138-78 v.Chr.) Dictator von Rom

"Sonst ein gar stiller Mann, doch wenn er angreift, wie der böse Teufel..."
    über König Rudolf I. von Habsburg aus Grillparzer - König Ottokars Glück und Ende

Zitat Zitat von simsahas Beitrag anzeigen
    nich wundern, bin nich analphabed geworden....mein hardes "d" auf der dasdadur isd kapudd :donk: :donk: Meine freundin had das nudella-messe auf die dasdadur fallen lassen :donk: :donk:

Hmm, I'm confused. Ok, how many percent of the tech progress is what I mean then, with regard to my FS-Col comparison. How many percent does 400 gold make for?

Registrierter Benutzer Avatar von Eurisko
    Zitat Zitat von Eivind Beitrag anzeigen
    How many percent does 400 gold make for?
    Wouldn't that depend on a multitude of factors even within the same scenario?

The thing is: Techs become more expensive the more techs you have already discovered and it doesn't matter which tech that is. What counts only is how much techs you have discovered before.
    If you want to know what a tech costs you have to start the cheat mode, choose "change king" (or whatever it is in English) and look at the research progress. There you can see what the tech you are researching right now costs. A tech in Col costs (estimated) from 6000 to 10000 beakers. So 400 would be about 1/20.

"Kein Mensch hat seinen Freunden so viel Gutes erwiesen und seinen Feinden so viel Böses angetan, dass ich, Sulla, ihn nicht noch übertroffen hätte."

über König Rudolf I. von Habsburg aus Grillparzer - König Ottokars Glück und Ende

nich wundern, bin nich analphabed geworden....mein hardes "d" auf der dasdadur isd kapudd :donk: :donk: Meine freundin had das nudella-messe auf die dasdadur fallen lassen :donk: :donk:

Veteran Avatar von Cobra
    I found this in the web: hope it helps

Technology Speed

Alright, here are some steps to having a slower
    tech game.
    1. Create your game on whatever map or
    customized world, but don't do your first move.
    2. Go
    into the cheat bar, and go to scenario
    parameters.
    3. the technology is set at default(10/10). If you
    want a incredibly slow game, set it at 1000/10. I
    personally prefer 200/10 on a 50by 80 world.
    4. Now in
    the cheat bar, go to save scenario, save it as
    whatever you like. Exit, and begin your scenario, this way
    you won't be on the hall of fame with cheat
    mode.

Also, I don't like how A game of civilization is so
    short. So what i did is i changed some other settings in
    scenario parameters. This is what my settings look like in
    the scenario parameters.
    tech paradigm
    (200/10)
    turn year increment (-1)
    starting year
    (12)
    maximum turns(30,000)

I enjoy these settings for i
    personally believe it portrays a more realistic
    modernization of a civilization. Medieval Wars last for ages,
    colonial too. Every technology is so much more important
    than in a default game.

These settings are only
    meant for hardcore civ2 players. Expect long games and
    tough wars.

Every single player game i play i
    play with these settings so i have a standard for my
    hall of fame. If you like these settings thank my bro
    for the tech changes, and me for the time changes. I
    hope you enjoy!
    Wenn du tot bist, dann weißt du nicht, dass du tot bist, es ist nur schwer für die anderen. Genau so ist es, wenn du blöd bist.

Registrierter Benutzer Avatar von Eurisko
    Zitat Zitat von Historical Atze Beitrag anzeigen
    The thing is: Techs become more expensive the more techs you have already discovered and it doesn't matter which tech that is. What counts only is how much techs you have discovered before.
    If you want to know what a tech costs you have to start the cheat mode, choose "change king" (or whatever it is in English) and look at the research progress. There you can see what the tech you are researching right now costs. A tech in Col costs (estimated) from 6000 to 10000 beakers. So 400 would be about 1/20.
    This is correct, but aren't there are thresholds after which tech "prices" jump at a much faster rate?

Yes, Eurisko and HA. You are both right, but I'm not sure if I understand how to explain myself or if I myself even understand what I am talking about. I only know that when I design scenarios I decide how quick the tech progress will be by adjusting the tech paradigm. And in colonialism, which has few and poorly developed cities from start I put the paradigm low. This makes for lower revenues than for instance FS, which has a much higher tech paradigm and also more and better deceloped cities. So the science progress goes just as quick, but gives less actual cash. This is why I've also made improvements and unit cost lower in Colonialism. Am I still beeing vague?

Ok, I understand that you say:

Col -> Small cities with few arrows -> lower trade revenue -> lower beaker revenue -> conclusion: set the tech paradigm lower which effectively means nothing but making the techs cheaper

First Strike -> Big cities with lots of arrows -> high trade revenue -> high beaker revenue -> conclusion: if I don't want people to discover a hell lot faster than in col, put the tech paradigm higher and thus making techs more expensive

Is that your point?

@Eurisko
    That might be. I actually have no idea if Civ2 behaves that way

Yes

That perfectly explains why it is sensible to use the mentioned techs to balance the trade revenues and it explains why you set the paradigm differently for different scens. Both is right and good but Sephis point was that some have the tech and others don't. Again I want to assure you that this is no attack against you, we just want to find out if this is a bug or if it was supposed to be that way. And based on the things I've read here I think that it is a bug. It would make sense to stimulate Portugal and Holland for they are smaller than the others. But France is equally big as England from the beginning but it doesn't have the tech whereas England does. I personally would advise to give the tech to the three big civs and make it very important quite early in the game ... like without it you cannot build Aquädukt or Grainhouse or such. But this is up to you of course.

Again, I definately don't feel it as an attack. On the contrary I appreciate the feedback. Me disagreeing is another matter. But I do however agree that France should have this tech as well. I'm still not sure if it's a bug or not, but my opinion here and now is that it is not. If you ever are to begin a new game of this (and I would want to join in ), please let France research this tech from start as well. Or remove the tech completely. Whatever you guys feel brings most fun to the PBEM.

Seite 2 von 2 ErsteErste 12