Seite 1 von 2 12 LetzteLetzte
Ergebnis 1 bis 15 von 17

Thema: Incentives for Faster Play

Registrierter Benutzer

Incentives for Faster Play

In my opinion, the current rate of progress for PBEMs leaves a lot to be desired. Most games have stalled and Imperialism is taking a month to go through a turn. I will admit that it is disappointing to take over a nation in the middle of a game (and familiarize myself with the scenario and the current situation) only to have the game stop anyway.

I would like to suggest the following incentive scheme. Questions, suggestions and other proposals are encouraged.

This system assumes that 60 hours (2 days and 12 hours) is a reasonable length of time to play a PBEM turn. Players get points for playing quickly and lose points for taking a long time, and should post their running total when they play a turn.

A player gets +1 point if he completes his turn less than 36 hours (1 day and 12 hours) after the previous player, +0 points for playing within 60 hours, -1 point for playing within 84 hours (3 days and 12 hours), -2 points for 108 hours (4 days and 12 hours), and so on. Basically, lose 1 point per day, but the first 12 hours are free.

A player gets +3 points if he allows the next player to use CTRL+N for instead of taking his turn -- but only if he announces it before his turn arrives.

A player can trade 10 points for a reward in game. The reward would depend on the scenario, but I would suggest he get a free turn of production.

If a player falls to -10 points, the next player has permission to use CTRL+N for the turn (this will still give the player +3 points).

If a player reaches -12 points, it is the next player's turn (if he doesn't use CTRL+N, he will start losing points).

Evertonian Avatar von McMonkey
    Interesting idea, but I can't see it having a major effect. In fact it may drive away players who are already teetering on the edge!

My idea to stimulate some activity in the forum would be to start up some games with a maximum of three players. These tend to run a lot quicker. Some of the most enjoyable games I have played in were two player! (IE American and Spanish Civil Wars) I fear the age of seven player epics is drawing to a close

One thing that puts me off when it comes to playing large scenarios is the thousands of units, traders and the amount of time it takes to move them, plus the lengthy process of incremental rush building. How about a house rule that forbids the incremental part (IE you can rush build, but you have to pay full price). This would remove one aspect of Civ2 that I have grown to find very tedious.

I think that any ideas we come up with to improve the playing experience have to be simple or they will end up being counter productive.

VfB ein Leben lang! Avatar von Historical Atze
    I think you are right, McMonkey.
    Although I usually have no problem with longer turns. Either I can play - even longer turns - or I cannot play at all.
    V f B  e i n  L e b e n  l a n g

"Kein Mensch hat seinen Freunden so viel Gutes erwiesen und seinen Feinden so viel Böses angetan, dass ich, Sulla, ihn nicht noch übertroffen hätte."
    Lucius Cornelius Sulla (138-78 v.Chr.) Dictator von Rom

"Sonst ein gar stiller Mann, doch wenn er angreift, wie der böse Teufel..."
    über König Rudolf I. von Habsburg aus Grillparzer - König Ottokars Glück und Ende

Zitat Zitat von simsahas Beitrag anzeigen
    nich wundern, bin nich analphabed geworden....mein hardes "d" auf der dasdadur isd kapudd :donk: :donk: Meine freundin had das nudella-messe auf die dasdadur fallen lassen :donk: :donk:

Metropolis
    Gast
    I'd prefer smaller scenarios, meaning smaller maps and maybe less players. We'll never be able to bring a big one to an end. Huge maps, dozens of cities and lots of units turn me off. And maybe sending a Personal Message to the next player as soon as you've finished your own turn would be better than just posting in the Thread.

Registrierter Benutzer Avatar von Dario
    Taking into account the current situation, as you are suggesting, we will have to survive playing Pbem Duels... they use to be fun, but most of the playable scenarios are developed to be played with 6 or 7 human players! . We will have to build new scenarios for that purposse.

Barcelona 5-Real Madrid 0 Avatar von Rebelious
    We could also play 1 to 2 or 3 civs per player, i.e. each one plays a faction by geography or historically. I’m not such a fan of leaving civs to the AI. For example in a Blitz game one could play the Allies, another Axis-Japan and a third one USSR. It would be tedious but I prefer to play a few games that are going forwards than many which are stalled!

Europäer Avatar von Radyserb
    serbska stolica Budyšin a němska stolica Berlin
    The problem is, that under normal circumstances such reliable players like Cobra, Karlheinz or Ingvar make longer breaks for various reasons. This you can't change with any rule

Registrierter Benutzer
    This semester will be much easier than the ones before, so I will try to be very punctual.

Overall, the sad state of the forum these past months is mostly due to cupcoffees disappearance. He left so many games dead in their tracks it makes me want to cry.
    I was very disspirited after he left. Even when I had time I couldn't bear to check out what was going on, which, most of the time, was nothing.

I hope some level of activity can be brought back.

Zitat Zitat von Ingvar Beitrag anzeigen
    This semester will be much easier than the ones before, so I will try to be very punctual.

Overall, the sad state of the forum these past months is mostly due to cupcoffees disappearance. He left so many games dead in their tracks it makes me want to cry.
    I was very disspirited after he left. Even when I had time I couldn't bear to check out what was going on, which, most of the time, was nothing.

I hope some level of activity can be brought back.
    Yeah, it's your turn in Imperialism and Star Trek Galaxy...

Metropolis
    Gast
    Zitat Zitat von Rebelious Beitrag anzeigen
    We could also play 1 to 2 or 3 civs per player, i.e. each one plays a faction by geography or historically. I’m not such a fan of leaving civs to the AI. For example in a Blitz game one could play the Allies, another Axis-Japan and a third one USSR. It would be tedious but I prefer to play a few games that are going forwards than many which are stalled!
    Sounds good to me. We should take care that those combined nations can be played in succesion.

Can somebody tell where a single player is sufficient to overcome the deadlock of a scenario? And maybe we should make a roll call to see who responds and how many of us there are left.

Registrierter Benutzer
    Interesting idea, but I can't see it having a major effect. In fact it may drive away players who are already teetering on the edge!
    I appreciate that concern, and I am certainly open to ideas that reduce the risk (or simply increasing the "standard" time to play). I am more interested in encouraging players to make plans for their nation (like letting an ally play) instead of leaving the game for an extended period of time. I would at least like a time limit for turns after which the turn is skipped with CTRL+N; then the game might be slow, but it won't stop completely.

One thing that puts me off when it comes to playing large scenarios is the thousands of units, traders and the amount of time it takes to move them, plus the lengthy process of incremental rush building.
    I don't think that Rape of Nations (for example) stalled due to long playing times. I mentioned the Imperialism progress rate because it is the only game I play that is actually active; I do realize that some games would be slower than others.

I think that any ideas we come up with to improve the playing experience have to be simple or they will end up being counter productive.
    I was trying to create a flexible framework so that occasional delays from otherwise quick players wouldn't be punished. Since I was bringing up the subject, I at least wanted to present an idea.

My idea to stimulate some activity in the forum would be to start up some games with a maximum of three players. These tend to run a lot quicker.
    We could also play 1 to 2 or 3 civs per player, i.e. each one plays a faction by geography or historically.
    Playing scenarios with fewer players seems like a good idea to me.

And maybe sending a Personal Message to the next player as soon as you've finished your own turn would be better than just posting in the Thread.
    This is, in my opinion an excellent idea.

Registrierter Benutzer Avatar von Dario
    This is the list of players that still are in this commmunity... Just to point that we are not such bad as we think

Metropolis
    Prof. Grafield
    Radyserb
    Rebelious
    McMonkey
    Dario
    Ingvar
    Karlheinz
    Historical Atze
    Cobra
    Barthi

Some are reliabes, some others don't even answers PMs . Some are playing just one game and others are 'are waiting'.

Metropolis
    Gast
    I think it would be great to define most trade routes before the game starts. The beginning of a PBEM game is always the same... dull and peaceful. And by the time the trade routes are set, someone has already given up and the game gets stuck. So, better define the routes at the start or provide lots of traders at the beginning to skip this part of the game as fast as possible. Or simply omit trade.

Du weisst aber schon, dass die Einmalerlöse in Wissen und Geld viel wichtiger sind als die Handelsrouten an sich?

Seite 1 von 2 12 LetzteLetzte