Seite 4 von 7 ErsteErste 1234567 LetzteLetzte
Ergebnis 46 bis 60 von 101

Thema: The Spanish Civil War (McMonkey vs Jerec)

Evertonian Avatar von McMonkey

Post Nationalists January 1937

Cuenca captured by troops of the Spanish Foreign Legion. One Civil Guard unit destroyed. Madrid is now cut off from Cartagena and Valencia to the south.

North-east of La Roda the Army of Africa, assisted by Italian bombers, breaks through the Republican defensive line. Three Milicianos, two Civil Guards, one Armoured Truck and one very tough AA Cannon destroyed for the loss of two veteran Legionaro and 1 veteran Regulares. La Roda is attacked but not occupied. One Miliciano, one Civil Guard and two Breguet 19s destroyed.

Angehängte Dateien Angehängte Dateien

Registrierter Benutzer Avatar von Jerec
    Will hopefully be able to finish and post the turn tomorrow; you've thrown my defensive plans into chaos by threatening La Roda...it's taken a good amount of juggling to scrape up the necessary troops for an adequate defense of that poor city. It's also been a tense battle up north with a large number of casualties in Miranda de Ebro. Those AA Cannons are fierce, and the Requetes seem tougher than the standard Nat Infantry.
    "Cease firing, but if any enemy planes appear, shoot them down in a friendly fashion." -Admiral William Halsey

Yes, the AA may be a bit too strong, we shall see how they do against the later Bombers and Fighters.

I thought I had to lose a few of my best units to break into the Republican lines before you had enough time to make the prohibitively expensive to attack. I'm hoping I can keep up the momentum and that your attacks elsewhere don't suck up all my reserves!

The Army of Africa's breakthrough next to La Roda causes a mass panic. Four units of Civil Guards and Milicianos desert at the news. The remaining forces, however, rally to defend La Roda against the imminent attack.

1 AT Gun and 1 Mot Infantry destroyed west of La Roda.

3 vet Rep Infantry, 1 Assault Guard, 1 vet Catalan Infantry, and 4 Milicianos lost in taking Miranda de Ebro.

Vitoria taken.
    "Cease firing, but if any enemy planes appear, shoot them down in a friendly fashion." -Admiral William Halsey

The Requetes are driven to feats of great bravery by a religious fervour and a deep love for their native Navarre!

Don't forget to add me back in after using the cheat menu (control+j). If you are using it to add back walls then CivCity should do the job fine, just rename the .hot to .sav, make the changes and then rename it back.

Playing now.

Registrierter Benutzer Avatar von Dario
    This scenario is a conversion of Pablostuka's MGE scenario?

Oh yes. I spoke to Pablo about a year or more ago and we discussed what he would have liked to have done to the scenario if he had ToT when building it. I'm fulfilling his plans as well as adding plenty of my own ideas.

Jerec,

I think I'm all Cived out for tonight. I do have tomorrow off work though so I will play in the morning with a nice cup of coffee

Registrierter Benutzer Avatar von Dario
    cup of coffee... you british don't use to drink tea?

Registrierter Benutzer
    He only drinks tea when he wants to feel manly.

I have never been that partial to a cuppa tea, not enough caffeine for my liking! Apart from that I think I comply with all of the other British stereotypes

I have played part of my turn this morning and managed to capture Valencia, Cartagena and Murcia. I think it is clear now that the defensive strength of Infantry units is too low. I remember the problems the Communist Militia were giving me with just one extra hit point. I have decided to stop playing my turn for a bit and upgrade all of the Infantry units defence strength and then do a bit of testing before I continue on with the new stats. Even though it looks like this play test might be a bit lopsided in favour of the Nationalists I hope we can continue to test the stats of all the units and test the events to make sure I can get a better balance for the final version.

Post Nationalists February 1937

A glorious month for the Nationalists and disaster for the Republic.

Madrid, Valencia, Cartagena, Albacete and Murcia are amongst the nineteen cities captured. The impact of the Army of Africa and the Condor Legion has been immense.

The Nationalists started the offensive into Murcia and Valencia with a massive air raid by Italian Savoia SM-79 bombers flying from airfields on the Balearic Isles. Hearing the cities defences were virtually wiped out troops of the Spanish Legion bypassed La Roda and entered the city, taking Requena on the way.

Cartagena was bombed by Italian Fiat BR.20s coming up from the south-west. Regulares took Lorca and entered Cartagena and Murcia from the west.

Italian Ro.37 ground attack aircraft from the Balearics attacked the Civil Guard garrisons of several coastal towns. Seeing an opportunity to mop up resistance in this region the Condor Legion sends its Panzer Is into the attack at La Road destroying seven Civil Guards and one Miliciano. This clears the way for the bombing of Albacete by a mixed bag of bombers. The Army of Africa follows up and takes Albacete, Almansa, Alcoy, Alicante and Gandia. There were quite a few Communist Militia units pushed out into the countryside. In this region the Republicans lost fourty units for no loss to the Nationalists. Clearly the game favours the attacker too much, despite the improved stats!

In Naverre the Condor Legion, supported by Italian Fiat tankettes and Falange units attack Miranda de Ebro which is recaptured and destroyed. The large Republican stack to the north-east is destroyed in an awesome demonstration of air power by the Condor Legion. Seventeen Repubican units are destroyed for the loss of one Br.20 and one Fiat tankette. Logrono and Vitoria are recaptured with the Republicans losing eight units. The Nationalists lose one of their new Heinkel He-112 fighters against a Dewoitine D.510 outside of Longrono. Irun falls to the Requetes after a naval bombardment. However the cost of the cities capture is high with five Requetes lost taking out one Gudaris who are blocking the way!

Spurred on by their success on other fronts the Nationalists decide to launch an attack on Madrid. The attack comes as predicted from Aranda de Duero against the pass at Samosierra. First the guarding N52 is shot down at the cost of one He51. Next the Falangists and Condor Legion attack the Republican trenches guarding the pass. The defenders are overcome at a high cost. One 75mm Field Gun battery, two Henschel Hs-123 dive bombers, two regiments of Condor Legion Infantry and two of Falangists are lost with other units badly mauled, but the pass is cleared.

The Nationalists only 5th Column unit scouts the defences of Madrid and finds a lot of aircraft, but not so many infantry. Although it is streched for resources after the attack on Samosierra Franco orders every available unit to be committed to the attack on the Spanish capital. Four Infantry, two Anti-tank guns, one engineer and thirteen aircraft are destroyed. The Nationalists lose two veteran Infantry and one Fiat CR32. Many other units are damaged. Nationalist units march into Madrid and secure the airport. Now the Condor Legions transports come to the Nationalists aid again, flying in frest Infantry to help hold the city. To the west Avila and Segovia are recaptured.

How long can the Republicans hold out for now?

(New rules attached, though I may tweak them a bit more!)

I can see that the defence strength of some units needs to be improved. Perhaps the terrain could be improved too. For example Grassland could be increased to 50%, hills to 100% and trenches to 300%. What I don't want to happen is for there to be invincible squares, but well defended trenches should be very hard to crack. That said, at Samosierra the line was pretty tough. I think in the next version I need to put good defensive terrain under most cities from the start. I think the game is great, but there needs to be a bit more of a balance between the two sides and between offence and defence!

My God. May I just say, your decisive attacks are repeatedly catching me flat-footed. *dips head* Congratulations, I don't think I'll be able to recover from this latest mauling enough to pull off a stalemate, much less a victory. You can bet that I'll be running through just how you did it after this is over. Your victory here will definitely be something to learn from!

Judging from both our attacks, I don't think the defensive abilities should be tweaked. Trenches are difficult enough to crack, make them any harder and probably only extremely heavy losses and lots of artillery will be able to crack them. Since artillery are very slow, this would make it turn into trench warfare. The only remedy I can see for a situation like that is bombers, but even that's assuming the defender can't shoot all or most of them down after they attack (or already has strong fighter cover).

I fully agree with the idea to make city squares more defensive. As it is, cities can't possibly be used to defend from (IMHO). Boosting them to be the same defense as an ordinary grassland squares would at least make them just vulnerable, not suicide for units to be in.

Because of the above, I would suggest tweaking offense a little. At the very least, make the Sun Tzu wonder for the Nationalists obsolete. I've found having vet units to make a huge difference in combat, especially when all your opponent's units are vets too. One easy way to make more balance.

An observation: I had no inkling that there would be such a powerhouse of units created by events in Burgos. That is to say, I saw the units created in the events, but didn't realize how effective they would be. That stack you destroyed had a large portion of quality defensive units and my offensive capacity in the North--simply put, I've lost the riverline, and with it any chance of successfully blocking your path to conquering Barcelona. It's only a matter of time...but now I'm off topic. The point is, I suspect that there may be too many event-created units. No matter how many Armored Cars or Trucks I RB, any defense line will be too large to truly defend and have a reasonable chance of holding. Even before losing that stack, I was biting my nails wondering if I had enough time to make a shorter trench line following the river to adequately defender Zaragoza and Barcelona.

Will play sooner or later.

Seite 4 von 7 ErsteErste 1234567 LetzteLetzte